Senior Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Consultant – United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Reports to: Senior Program Manager
Location: Hybrid – Work from Home/London Office (Islington)
Contract: Part-time, fixed-term external consultant (2 days per week until March 2023, with possibility of extension)
Daily tax: Negotiable
About Amref Health Africa UK
Amref Health Africa is Africa’s leading health charity. Based in Nairobi, we work in partnership with communities in 35 countries to sustainably strengthen health systems and improve access to lifesaving care. Our belief that health is a human right underpins everything we do. Since March 2020, we have been at the forefront of the COVID-19 response in East, West and Southern Africa.
Amref Health Africa UK (Amref UK) is one of twelve offices in Europe and North America that are primarily responsible for raising the profile of the organization, brokering partnerships and raising funds to support our programs in Africa .
About this role
The UK government (Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office – FCDO) has a vision of a world without female genital mutilation/cutting (FGM/C) by 2030, in line with the SDGs. A program has been established titled “Supporting the African-led Movement (ALM) to End FGM/C” to contribute to global efforts to realize this vision. Amref Health Africa is implementing an ambitious outreach work plan in Kenya, Senegal and at regional and global levels. As part of program management and coordination, Amref UK engages a monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL) consultant to support the Senior Program Manager in developing and implementing a comprehensive ALM program MEL strategy, a framework assessment and data mapping for the results framework.
Working closely with the Senior Program Manager, the MEL Consultant will design and develop Amref’s program-level monitoring, evaluation and learning across all Amref delivery units. This will include supporting country teams to articulate desired program results, while developing clear MEL plans to ensure results are captured, highlighted and interventions are adapted based on learnings. Particular emphasis will be placed on creating clear systems and tools to track and demonstrate global progress and results, while ensuring that data and content are collected and verified at country level.
Strategy and planning
- Establish and implement a robust MEL strategy and evaluation framework for the ALM program for Amref globally
- Interpret and develop theories of change at the strategic level for the program
- Represent Amref in consortium-level MEL meetings/working groups, demonstrating thought leadership for the organization
Systems, frameworks and tools
- Work with country offices, establish frameworks for MEL quality assurance
- Support the development of country-level results frameworks, MEL work plans and MEL tools
- Develop a data management system to inform analysis, learning and reporting
- Analyze and ensure the quality of MEL data collected by the country teams by ensuring that it is systematically archived
Research, evidence and learning
- Ensure timely and quality data collection across the program
- Develop and deploy research initiatives across the program – baselines, PEA, cross-border research, longitudinal panel studies, data collection
- Develop a systematic approach to adaptive learning for the program, ensuring that interventions are informed by clear evidence-based learning
- Support country teams to conduct interim and final evaluations
- Ensure learnings are generated and used to inform program adaptation
- Conduct data/quality assessment audits ensuring audited data meets RF indicators
Knowledge Management and Reporting
- Coordinate teams, develop and compile monthly, quarterly and annual reports – gather information from a range of stakeholders, work to strict deadlines
- Develop and maintain an internal program dashboard highlighting performance and risk areas
- Support country teams to ensure data is disaggregated by sex, age, disability and other inclusion criteria
- Develop communication products and reports on evidence, results and learning and share with relevant stakeholders
- Minimum 6-8 years of experience in monitoring, evaluation, data management and learning on a large-scale multi-country program
- Development of tools and systems for measuring performance, learning and program evaluation
- Support national teams to develop evaluation and research methodologies
- Interpret data and present results
- Bachelor’s degree or higher education in a relevant field, or qualified by experience.
- Knowledge of a range of qualitative and quantitative data collection and evaluation methodologies
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, Power Point, Teams)
- Excellent oral and written English
- Ability to work well with others, within teams, while showing initiative to work independently and manage time and priorities
Desirable experience, knowledge and skills
- Consortium work experience
- MEL’s experience in gender and rights-based programming
- MEL experience for commercially funded programs
How to register
The successful candidate will not be employed, but will enter into a services contract with Amref Health Africa UK. All applicants must have the right to work in the UK. Amref Health Africa UK is unable to support visa or work applications for this contract.
Amref Health Africa UK champions equity, inclusion and diversity in all aspects of our work. We encourage applications from candidates from diverse backgrounds. We respect and appreciate the many ways they can demonstrate the experience, skills and potential we seek.
If you have additional requirements or need assistance with your application, please let us know.
To apply, please submit your application to https://amrefuk.livevacancies.co.uk/#/job/details/32 by Wednesday July 6 and include the following:
- Your CV
- a cover letter of no more than one A4 side that demonstrates your interest and suitability for the position (please include your daily rate in this letter).
- an example of work that demonstrates that you have the experience to fill the role
If you have any questions about the role, please contact Recruitment Manager Danielle Waller – [email protected]